Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Auto trans questions

Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
I did try to find posts on the questions I have about the A8 in my Hellcat charger, but I really couldn't find any, so here they are.
I notice that when the vehicle is cold ,the shift into drive has a delay that seems a little abnormal. When it is at operating temps ,it goes into gear normally.
Also I played a little with the drive modes and tried track mode,and the shift was really hard almost too hard like a hammer hitting. Is this transmission designed to take those shifts without harming anything?
Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but I just thought I would reach out. Thank you everyone for the great responses I have had so far :)

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
YES

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
On cold starts the transmission fluids are pushing thru as well as the torque converter and takes a moment to fully cycle to have the pressures. Theses transmissions are designed to take a lot of abuse and the SRT pages change the inertia to get you quicker times. Your fine and on the opposite note another member had the opposite his trans would slam into gear and lurch the vehicle forward. Which yeh that was a problem he had fixed.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I drive mine in street mode. At the track the trans go to track.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Harder hitting shifts are what you want, especially in Track mode. Soft mushy shifts are designed for comfort and non aggressive driving but are actually worse for your trans wear. I’m sure I’ll get a few argumentative comments on that lol. My custom mode is street everything but Track trans. I prefer it because it’s always at the ready and has higher shift points, keeps you in the power longer before shifting. Just my personal preference with my driving style.

Last edited:
OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
On cold starts the transmission fluids are pushing thru as well as the torque converter and takes a moment to fully cycle to have the pressures. Theses transmissions are designed to take a lot of abuse and the SRT pages change the inertia to get you quicker times. Your fine and on the opposite note another member had the opposite his trans would slam into gear and lurch the vehicle forward. Which yeh that was a problem he had fixed.
I had to back off the throttle because there were cars cutting across the lanes , so it wasn't under any load when it shifted ,I didn't like how it felt. Thanks for the tech input on the shift to drive delay, so I guess the hellcats all do this so I am convinced it is a normal characteristic of these beasts ;)

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I have had mine down shift a few times, when it felt like it was going to rip the drive shaft out. So I think it miss judges at times. But it is normal. and Dodge doesn't worry about it LOL I have been a trans mechanic for 35 years.

OP
Tonyacat
Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
I have had mine down shift a few times, when it felt like it was going to rip the drive shaft out. So I think it miss judges at times. But it is normal. and Dodge doesn't worry about it LOL I have been a trans mechanic for 35 years.
I
I have "OCD" so I worry about things a little too much ,seriously LOL!!