Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

AAD trailing/tension arms install

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I picked up a set of the AAD trailing/tension arms at the Moparty and installed them yesterday. They make them with either the energy suspension bushings and with teflon impregnated delrin spherical bearing ends. Mine are the delrin spherical ones they call Spheriflex. I was a little concerned about noise but they use these ones in their wheel hop eliminator and drag kit. I put over 50 miles on the car yesterday and didn't hear any noises. On a 4 link suspension going this route can effect hearing gear noise but our rear ends are a lot different with more mounting points. Pretty straight forward with only 4 bolts and all are 18mm. Took less then an hour and they are torqued to 72 ft lb. I give them a 1-2 for difficulty to install. Don't the stock one's look cute:)
20201003_094259.jpg 20201003_095421.jpg 20201003_095433.jpg 20201004_101020.jpg

Last edited:

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I’ve see more than one of those “cute” trailing arms break. One on the dyno. People who don’t change those, don’t know what they don’t know. Good choice.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I picked up a set of the AAD trailing/tension arms at the Moparty and installed them yesterday. They make them with either the energy suspension bushings and with teflon impregnated delrin spherical bearing ends. Mine are the delrin spherical ones they call Spheriflex. I was a little concerned about noise but they use these ones in their wheel hop eliminator and drag kit. I put over 50 miles on the car yesterday and didn't hear any noises. On a 4 link suspension going this route can effect hearing gear noise but our rear ends are a lot different with more mounting points. Pretty straight forward with only 4 bolts and all are 18mm. Took less then an hour and they are torqued to 72 ft lb. I give them a 1-2 for difficulty to install. Don't the stock one's look cute:)
View attachment 26172 View attachment 26174 View attachment 26175
NICE! I've been looking at those. No other adjustments? alignment? Bolt in and go?

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I’ve see more than one of those “cute” trailing arms break. One on the dyno. People who don’t change those, don’t know what they don’t know. Good choice.
You have any idea what RWHP/torque those failures happened. That's fuc&*^ scary.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
You have any idea what RWHP/torque those failures happened. That's fuc&*^ scary.
Most of the modded cars the shop puts out are the common e85 900whp packages. It was one of those that broke on the dyno. That type of failure on track could put you into the wall.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
NICE! I've been looking at those. No other adjustments? alignment? Bolt in and go?
Bolt in and go.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I guess a driveshaft is next?

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
I guess a driveshaft is next?
I already have one. Was thinking on doing it when I try the 3.09 gears

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
Today project is installing cat-deletes

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
@Marc W I agree with this .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Those bushings are the real deal. It is my experience with them on the toe arm and the much more motion prone front top adjustable arm to be excellent choices for mods while maintaining the cars’ street characteristics we all like. They have not made a peep even after some substantial road course work.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I actually opted for poly in all arms and they sent me a speriflex trailing arm by mistake (uppers were all poly as requested).

Mine went together a little more difficult than it should've only because I did all 3 and did them out of sequence while cutting the bolt WITHOUT notching the body or dropping the cradle.

Performance wise I give them a 12/10. Excellent stuff. Between the AAD wheel hop kit, DIRS, Race brace, front diff lockout and soon to be cradle lockout and rear diff lockout (with DIRS lockout) Rear is solid as it can get short of a straight axle.

It's just a shame it whines so much with the 1pc driveshaft. TBH now that I know what to listen for...it always did it even with the 2pc.

Should've had it addressed before mods. Oh well.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I already have one. Was thinking on doing it when I try the 3.09 gears
You are soon going to be too fast to be competitive in the Nitto 11.0 second challenge that you recently have dominated... I guess you have a driveshaft loop also ready to install?

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
Had no idea those arms could break on the dyno..I'd consider that a serious weak point. Looks like the AAD package will be going on this winter. Nice post OP!

Fubar569, If you are getting whine with the 1piece shaft off throttle may want to change the diff fluid. It eliminated wine on my car. Used Motul Molybdenum bisulphide reinforced 80w90+a full bottle of Mopar friction modifier. Could even step up to 75w140 in their racing line (Viper Spec). I've used Motul for years in all types of cars with zero complaints. Big difference over the MOPAR diff fluid IMO.
https://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/gearbox-80w90
https://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/gear-competition-75w140

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
You are soon going to be too fast to be competitive in the Nitto 11.0 second challenge that you recently have dominated... I guess you have a driveshaft loop also ready to install?
The Nitto deal is done. I want to see how fast I can get the car without pulley changes and tune. Based on what I have run in 1500DA 10.70 should be possible in 0 DA. With cat-deletes and 3.09 in negative DA, 10.50's?

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Had no idea those arms could break on the dyno..I'd consider that a serious weak point. Looks like the AAD package will be going on this winter. Nice post OP!

Fubar569, If you are getting whine with the 1piece shaft off throttle may want to change the diff fluid. It eliminated wine on my car. Used Motul Molybdenum bisulphide reinforced 80w90+a full bottle of Mopar friction modifier. Could even step up to 75w140 in their racing line (Viper Spec). I've used Motul for years in all types of cars with zero complaints. Big difference over the MOPAR diff fluid IMO.
https://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/gearbox-80w90
https://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/products/gear-competition-75w140

I've done redline 75-90, valvoline conventional 85-140 and lucas 85-140 all with mopar additive and with little to no change.

It whines in transition. When loaded either accel or decel it makes no noise. Take the load off the pinion and it whines between 55-70mph only.

At this point I've accepted it for now.

I also may have axle noise. We will see after this weekend racing.