Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to SRT owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2019 Redeye? With Brake Cooling Air Ducts? No kit yet :(

Trader history for JamesU (0)

Member ID
Reactions
City
Austin
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Hellcat
Unfortunately the brake cooling air duct on the passenger side runs directly underneath the oil cooler drain plug. The HC-02 kit I have now will not directly work on this new version of Challenger front shield.

airductversion-68404932AC.jpg

I'm thinking about ways to work around this, but I do not have anything to offer at this time. Feel free to post a comment here if you'd like to be contacted in the future regarding kits to support this vehicle.

Thanks,
James

JustForFun

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muscleville
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
UGH.

JFF

OP
JamesU
Member ID
Reactions
City
Austin
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
The duct system is a single piece of plastic spanning the full width of the front shield, and it is riveted on in over 20 places. The duct on the passenger side runs under the oil cooler's drain. There are several approaches to solving this, but the solution will inevitably be more complicated than the relatively simple covers I now make. Sorry!

MaxCarnage

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
I'd like to be contacted when you find a solution for the Redeye's, thanks!

Hickster

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Buy a Demon,,, but it sound to me. Even after 3 beers, this gentleman has already figured it out. Big bang theory got this place upside down?? Damn it Bull head.

MaxCarnage

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
@JamesU

Have you gotten a solution for the Redeye yet? Or can us Redeye owners buy an older style Hellcat front splash shield and use that in place of the Redeye splash shield?

OP
JamesU
Member ID
Reactions
City
Austin
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for checking in. I can describe what I'm thinking about, and I'd like to hear what Redeye owners think about my concept. I did buy a Redeye front shield with ducts in order to begin my design work, so that part is accomplished.

Based on my previous measurements, what I am seeing is that the duct really passes under the crucial area for holding the cooler. As you may be aware, when you untighten and tighten the drain plug, you have put a wrench on the aluminum block area to keep from straining the cooler.

My thoughts keep migrating towards designing a small door directly next to the duct, about half the size of the normal Challenger opening I have now. I know I can do this safely without disturbing the duct's functions. This smaller access door would facilitate a connection like a Stahlbus valve. The opening would be big enough to fit your hand and the hose through when it was time to drain the cooler. It would likely not be a big enough opening to support the normal tools needed to uninstall and reinstall the original drain plug. My kit might end up being $30 this time, due to an added bracket part to hold behind the duct. But the bigger expense is the Stahlbus system, which I can't afford to stock a bunch of for everyone, and buyers would need to go get those on their own (for about $70).

Pros:
- Resolves the main issue of oil changes being too difficult.
- Minimizes tool needed like the previous Charger and Challenger solutions.

Cons:
- Requires use of Stahlbus or No-Spill Systems valves and drain hoses. (Not Fumoto or EZ Oil Drain) A lot of people are using these with my existing designs today, but the key difference is that you don't have to. Now, you would have to use them.
- Total solution would now cost more, about $100 or so, most which is for the valve.

So, let me know what y'all think. I'm open to feedback.

During this virus situation I can do some of the design work, but since I do not own a Challenger, I'm a bit SOL on getting to look at one to test out my design ideas. I'm afraid it may take me a little longer, until I can get a Challenger owner to bring their car by my house.

Thanks!
James

OP
JamesU
Member ID
Reactions
City
Austin
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
But your Idea of moving to the non-duct front shield is actually viable too. Those shields run about $90-$100 online, plus shipping (for comparison).

Thanks,
James

Paladin06

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Queen Creek
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I’ve no ideas what’s happening here.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I believe the non duct shield is the only real viable option. I personally don't think the ducts do much if anything anyway. I thank you for your thoughts and efforts to make an annoyance or problem easier to deal with, but for my level of dealing with such an annoyance it's not a big deal to just remove the shield any way. They're just a few sheet metal screws and it pops right off. I would not wish any bad luck to anybody trying a new business venture, but to me it's just not an issue or a big deal. For others on here it may be. You wanted honest feedback, so there it is. I honestly wish you luck on your venture and sollution.

MaxCarnage

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
But your Idea of moving to the non-duct front shield is actually viable too. Those shields run about $90-$100 online, plus shipping (for comparison).

Thanks,
James
I think I will try finding an older non-duct shield. I found a part number of 68184165AG. I'm going to call Steve White Motors and see if they can tell me if that is the one without ducts on it, and if it is I'll order it. You're right, it's about $100 for that shield (OEM). I also just ordered the Stahlbus valves (both engine and cooler), because they seem like a good way to make things easier as well. What's the best way to order the HC-02 kit (Challenger) from you @JamesU ? I'm going to set aside my Redeye front shield and go the non-duct way (if I can find a shield). I drag race, so I don't see myself needing that extra cooling on the brakes. If I was road racing however, I would be more inclined to keep the ducts.

MaxCarnage

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
I’ve no ideas what’s happening here.
Can't tell if you're serious or not, lol. I'll help anyway, lol!

@JamesU made a solution for the oil cooler drain which has you cut out a section in the front shield and replace it with his cap. In short to drain the cooler it requires only 4 screws with his method. It takes somewhere around 15-18 screws/push pins to get the cover off normally. I find it annoying to have to remove that much crap to do an oil change. The problem is with Redeye's we have ducts that were added to that shield for brake cooling. They interfere with his mod, that makes draining the cooler easier. So he is working on a solution for Redeyes. In the meantime I think just switching to a Hellcat non duct shield is the simplest way to go. I also will be installing Stahlbus valves to make the oil change a breeze. Or at least that's the idea, lol.

Hope that helps.

Here is the website to the mod https://oilcooleraccess.com/

MaxCarnage

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
@JamesU

I just decided to put in an order for your drain access kit. Thanks bud! I ordered an older non-duct shield part# 68184165AE along with your kit. Along with the Stahlbus valves this should all make my oil changes much easier and more efficient.

MaxCarnage

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
@JamesU

Just an update I got in my oil cooler access kit from James (Thanks!) yesterday. I took my Hellcat shield that I bought and installed the access kit on it. Took me roughly an hour to do it drinking beer, lol. Instructions are very well laid out in the kit. I'd definitely buy another kit from him in the future. The modded shield is now put aside for the next time I change my oil, at which point I'll swap out my Redeye shield for this one. Looking forward to easier oil changes!