Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2013 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi tune needed, any recommendations?

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Hey all
I am replacing the cam in my trusty 2013 Ram 1500 Express 4X4 5.7L 6spd auto regular cab truck
I bought it new and it currently has 189,000 miles that were pretty trouble free until about 5-6 weeks ago I acquired the dreaded cam and lifter issue!

I have since decided to basically rebuild everything that I can to get another 10 years out of it along with doing a few minor upgrades. Here is what I am looking at or have ordered already.
I am currently using a Bully Dog GT gas tuner with their performance tunes but just put the truck back to stock.

I am going with
Comp Cams HRT stage 1 cam and lifter set, MDS delete and VVT lock out
JBA Cat4ward titanium ceramic headers
Deatschwerks 42lb injectors
BBK 90mm throttle body
K&N cold air intake
Melling High pressure, standard volume oil pump
Cloyes timing set
MSD Street Fire coil packs
NGK Iridium IX plugs
Flowmaster FlowFX muffler
180 deg thermostat
Cold Case performance aluminum radiator

Also changing out/replacing
Hood, Grill, Bumper cover (son hit a pole! angry face)
RF Fender, New OEM black Halogen headlights (Fookin Canadian goose bent fender and broke HL)
Bed (rust, but only on bed, weird)
Rancho Shocks and Strut assemblies
New wheel bearings (have a hum form one)
CARR Black aluminum side steps (wife's requirement)
Power Stop Z36 pads and rotors all four corners

Plus anything else I think of in the next few weeks before I do all this work.
Also if you are taking the time to read this am I on a decent path? Anything you see I have completely wrong with my items? anything I SHOULD be doing?
I am not trying to match the HC performance as I really enjoy my truck with the stock 395hp and 410tq but since I have to change the cam out I thought I would get a little extra performance and sound.
Even if I only pick up 30-35hp I am ok with that. I know everyone always asks what your goals are. That is it just a tad bit more performance and little more aggressive sounding but not too much as this is my daily and I leave for work at 4am every morning in a pretty quiet neighborhood.

Now my issue I need to get this all tuned once it is all installed and I am at a loss as to where to even start with this.
I've contacted a few local "speed shop" tuners and am not really getting anywhere just yet. They only seem to want to work on imports?
I need suggestions on how I can go about getting this package tuned somewhere fairly local. What is my best route to take?

Like I said the last time I did any performance work it was a standard 350ci Chevy in the 80's and if you got 1-1.5hp per cube you were doing pretty good!

HELP:giggle:

Last edited:
OP
Bobo

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
Current state with new hood and grill installed, the other pics are parts piling up and one with winter tires (original chrome rims) and one with summer tires (black factory sport rims)
IMG_3458.jpeg IMG_3598.jpeg IMG_3599.jpeg IMG_3600.jpeg IMG_3601.jpeg
IMG_2579.jpeg IMG_2575.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Bobo

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
This is what it looked like after The Great Goose Incident and then my son hit a pole with it! I’ve changed the hood and grill out and have new bumper cover, bed (needs painted to match) and headlights
IMG_2789.jpeg

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Been struggling with the same issue modding my Durango - can't find anyone even fairly close I feel is competent enough to do the work.
When I had the Mustang, the shop was 90 minutes away and quite frankly was a PITA to deal with when something went 'bump' and things do go astray.

I did touch base with Jon and he could do the tune.

Will be interested in your thoughts on those Z36 brakes, was looking at them as well (the OE R/T brakes feel weak to me, perhaps because I'm spoiled by the Brembo's on the Hellcat ?). Was planning on switching to their drilled/slotted rotors too.

OP
Bobo

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Been struggling with the same issue modding my Durango - can't find anyone even fairly close I feel is competent enough to do the work.
When I had the Mustang, the shop was 90 minutes away and quite frankly was a PITA to deal with when something went 'bump' and things do go astray.

I did touch base with Jon and he could do the tune.

Will be interested in your thoughts on those Z36 brakes, was looking at them as well (the OE R/T brakes feel weak to me, perhaps because I'm spoiled by the Brembo's on the Hellcat ?). Was planning on switching to their drilled/slotted rotors too.
Sounds like we are in the same boat.:cry:
As far as the brakes I love the Z36 this will be my 3rd set as I just change them out every 70,000 miles like clockwork. I get a good 70k out of a set of pads and rotors. Pretty happy with that and they are a great upgrade from stock but obviously NOT as great as the Brembo's on the HC's

What did it take for John to do a tune for you?? I'm pretty much willing to do what's needed to get a program to get truck running and usable once I get everything installed and then maybe I can get it to someone that can do an in person dyno tune.

Still waiting to hear back from three more shops I've contacted. I'm now getting out to 100 miles away which is more than I want to do for a DD tune.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Sounds like we are in the same boat.:cry:
As far as the brakes I love the Z36 this will be my 3rd set as I just change them out every 70,000 miles like clockwork. I get a good 70k out of a set of pads and rotors. Pretty happy with that and they are a great upgrade from stock but obviously NOT as great as the Brembo's on the HC's

What did it take for John to do a tune for you?? I'm pretty much willing to do what's needed to get a program to get truck running and usable once I get everything installed and then maybe I can get it to someone that can do an in person dyno tune.

Still waiting to hear back from three more shops I've contacted. I'm now getting out to 100 miles away which is more than I want to do for a DD tune.
Thanks for the info on the Z36's !!

I didn't really get deep into the pricing as I have been looking at 2 different paths (Whipple or mods somewhat similar to what you are planning).
You will need the basics (unlocked PCM, tuner tool + 'credits', a way to data log - phone or laptop). You have a '13 so no need for the stupid 'by-pass cable'.
Plan on a trans tune to go with the engine tune !

2 things seemed to be show stoppers with most shops - asking them to dyno tune with an 'outside' tuner (most refused to even talk about it) and asking about dropping in an LSD (got nowhere with this, it was like asking Superman to eat a kryptonite pie or something - sigh).
Figured I'd take their tune then send Jon the base & their tune and do whatever logging etc. I needed for him to make it right ;)

Have sort of bailed on the Whipple path, just not a lot of support out there for it (at least not around here).

Now looking at this:
Airraid, JLT or AFE cold air intake
Corsa Sport Axle Back Exhaust
PowerStop Extreme Z36 Drilled and Slotted Brake Kit (or Wildwood ?)

Kooks or ARH 1 7/8″ x 3″ Long Tube Headers and Catted midpipes
180 t-stat
NGK Spark Plug Set
Comp Cams VVT camshaft (not sure which one, want to avoid having to upgrade the torque converter !)
valve spring kit + hardened pushrods (if I do the cam)
CNC ported cylinder heads
SRT 6.4L ported intake manifold + Z-Automotive valve controller/wiring
Custom/dyno tune + unlocked PCM & Bypass cable & HP or Diablo handheld for data logging/remote tuning
Trans tune

Could do everything BUT the cam, valve springs, pushrods 1st, then doing those later if I decide I want more HP ?

LSD ?? (asking about this is like asking them to slice off their twig & berries and use them to decorate the shop :rolleyes: - WTF ??)
the diff - I'm concerned about the OE open diff becoming an issue with more power. Seems that would be an issue with even a moderate power add? It appears (but is not 100% clear) both Auburn & Detroit Locker make one that would work - no one seems to have an answer ? Any other mods needed to make it work (new shafts etc.) ?? Will adding an LSD affect the OE traction control at all ?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
(y)Who is going to do your install @MikeD1?

OP
Bobo

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
(y)Who is going to do your install @MikeD1?
Still looking for someone to do the work. There are a few maybe's in Tampa & Orlando, but that's back to the 90+ minute drive for issues :(
Need to go visit Burnyzz's in Summerfield, they talked a good show on the phone, but we'll see. Have been busy with other things lately & have not had time to wander over there & check them out.

OP
Bobo

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Sent message to Jon, let’s see what happens 🙏

OP
Bobo

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Got a plan with Jon to do the tuning. Waiting for tuner to arrive to load stick tune into it for him. Never done this before so I’m pretty exited to see how this process plays out!😎😊

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Got a plan with Jon to do the tuning. Waiting for tuner to arrive to load stick tune into it for him. Never done this before so I’m pretty exited to see how this process plays out!😎😊
I had a hard time figuring it out. Jon will help you through it. It's really not that hard after you get it.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States